The period between the two World Wars saw an increase in the volume of traffic, as the motor car and Southampton Corporation Tramways evolved.
It became essential to develop new routes around the Bargate as the central arch was too much of an obstruction.
Wickham is at the junction of two Roman Roads and is a better fit to the distances documented in Antonine Itinerary VII.
During the Middle Ages, shipbuilding became an increasingly important industry and was to remain so for centuries to come. The development of Hurst, Calshot, Cowes and Netley castles along Southampton Water and the Solent, by Henry VIII in about 1540, meant that Southampton was no longer so dependent upon its fortifications.
In 1553, the Free Grammar School off the Mayor Baliffs and Burgesses of the Towne and County of Southampton was granted letters patent by King Edward VI, establishing the new school and thus fulfilling the legacy of William Capon who left money for that purpose in his will. Since that time it has been the last port of call for millions of emigrants who left the Old World to start a new life in the USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Barbados Southampton was one of the boroughs reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, and contained the parishes of All Saints, Holy Rood, St John, St Lawrence, St Mary, St Michael, and part of South Stoneham.
As a centre of commerce, an industrial town and an important military embarkation point, Southampton was a strategic target for the Luftwaffe and was severely damaged in World War II.
Reference to modern maps show Bitterne Manor to be 25 miles (40 km) from Chichester.
The village has a local shop with post office, newsagent, public house and popular bar/restaurant.